Sunday, 4 March 2012

Before I go to Sleep


Before I go to Sleep


'As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning. Thinking I'm still a child. Thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me ...' Memories define us. So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep? Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love - all forgotten overnight. And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story. Welcome to Christine's life.




 

After reading Tinker, Taylor, I was still in the mood for some mystery. I figured that this one would do the trick.

Sadly, I was mistaken. I clued in to who the 'bad person' was pretty much from the start, and then continued to read through to the end to prove myself correct. Sure enough, I was right.

So much for a mystery.

Still, the premise is a good one, (think 50 First Dates, but down a much darker path) and the writing itself was decent - especially for a debut novel. It also made for a quick read, even though the repetition got to be a little annoying after a while - not so much Christine's story (the author credits you enough to make the connections between one journal entry and the next) - but the constant, "I woke up this morning beside a man I don't recognize.'

Then again - without giving anything away - that was pretty much the point of the whole thing, so I guess it had to be included...

Average rating is 3.8, but I gave it a 2 - probably the lowest rating I've given a book that I've read this year so far. In my opinion, you know it's not a great read when you can't wait to be done reading it.

Meanwhile, I'm now reading Sing me Home by Jodi Picoult, and while I can't put it down, it's a story that I also don't want to end... So using basic reasoning, one might expect that my next blog post will sing its praises...

We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment