Tuesday, 6 March 2012

Sing You Home

Sing You Home

One miscarriage too many spelled the end of Max and Zoe Baxter's marriage. Though the former couple went quite separate ways, their fates remained entangled: After veering into alcoholism, Max is saved in multiple senses by his fundamentalist conversion; Zoe, for her part, finds healing relief in music therapy and the friendship, then romantic love with Vanessa, her counselor. After Zoe and Vanessa, now married, decide to have a baby, they realize that they must join battle with Max, who objects on both religious and financial grounds. Like her House Rules and several other previous Jodi Picoult novels, Sing You Home grapples with hot button issues.


This is my first time reading a Jodi Picoult novel, but it certainly wont be my last. I really enjoyed her writing style, and the fact that she touched on topics that I'm not used to reading about.

Some people might find her dark sense of humour (I.e. baby oil joke) and her 'apparent church bashing' a little over the top, but just because I don't agree with everything I read in a book doesn't mean that I can't enjoy the story overall.

I especially liked her comment about left and right handed people (read the book to see what I mean) and the whole courtroom drama... even though parts of it made me mad enough to spit. (Can you guess which parts?)

The fact that it really made me think about issues that I don't usually think about (d'uh - isn't that the whole point?) is probably what I enjoyed the most - and goes to show that, three months in, I'm still abiding by my whole 'New Year's Resolution'. For sure, there was a lot of corniness interspersed throughout the revelations, but I promised to be more open minded, not disregard my own tastes in novels completely! I like a book that can make me laugh out loud one minute and make me grit my teeth the next... not to mention, one that I don't want to end, because even after the main story has concluded, I want to learn more about the characters and their ongoing lives.

So here I am, singing its praises in the best way that I know how: suggesting that you give it a try and stamping it with a 4.5 out of 5 rating.

Oh - and don't forget to check out the music suggestions included - they definitely add/help to complete the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment