Monday, 2 April 2012

The Weird Sisters

The Weird Sisters





A major new talent tackles the complicated terrain of sisters, the power of books, and the places we decide to call home.






I usually try and use my own words when describing a book that I've read, but for the Weird Sisters, I thought that  fellow Goodreads.com member Jan's review was spot on. 
"If you are a woman for whom reading is like breathing, only much more interesting, you will love Eleanor Brown’s The Weird Sisters."
My two older sisters and I were much like the weird ones in the story. Though we don't share all the same characteristics as Rose, Bean and Cordy, there are some similarities. The fact that we're all bibliophiles is a given.


The use of Shakespearean quotes reminded me why I had such a fascination with the Bard as a teen. They were well placed and - even for those of you without a history of reading in Ye Olde English - were fairly easy to follow too.


What I especially like about the novel - apart from the fact that I felt right at home with this family - was in the way that it was written: from the point of view of all three sisters, with 'they' and 'us' and 'ours' tossed in liberally to show that this is a tale that's shared.(I think that style is called first person plural, but can't be certain) 


Either way, it made you feel as though you were part of the family - a weird cousin, perhaps...


I give it a four out of five - not quite perfect, but that's just because I felt that - as always - the ending was a little rushed, a little too pat, a little fabricated. Shakespeare likely wouldn't have approved... 



No comments:

Post a Comment